Re: do newpaper phojos carry lights

When I shot advertising for the local paper, (which, BTW, paid much less
than editorial) I often brought my own studio strobes for the photos that
warranted that approach.  The rest of the time I shot with a single flash
often off camera on a bracket or did the old Statue of Liberty pose (a
wedding photog. taught me that one) to get the flash high enough to drive
the shadow down out of the close up.  I was using my own 8008s so I had TTL
flash metering, great for the occasional macro product shot, too.

Many times I would put an amber or green piece of Rosco gel from their
sample book over my flash to match the ambient light.  The I would color
balance the images when I scanned them into Photoshop.  Since there was
little mismatch between subject flash illumination and ambient background it
was a snap.  I often used a tripod and slow shutter speed (same wedding
photog called it "dragging" the shutter) to get enough background light and
the strobe would still do a pretty good job of freezing the subject.

Another useful technique is to keep your other eye open as you shoot, you'll
catch most strange expressions and blinks (since you are not looking through
the viewfinder) so you'll know then whether to shoot another frame or if you
"nailed it" in one.  You have a clear unobstructed view especially with the
camera vertical for head shots.   (One of the reasons I still use TLR's for
portraits and weddings-no mirror blackout.)

I did 90 headshots in 120 minutes with that setup one day and 200 on another
occasion in about 4 hours (I had to shoot in 4 separate buildings).  That's
a lot less than 4 minutes per.

I did a count one week, my output equaled that of three full time staff
editorial photographers, not in content certainly, hard to get much
emotional content from cans of vegetables, head shots, or used cars but I
had the three of them beat on sheer volume.

darkroommike