Re: do newpaper phojos carry lights

Hi All,

I really think the type of publication and the subject matter dictate the
gear as well as the photographers style.

Many photographers can mix both daylight/ambient light and flash and you
will not be the wiser. Ususally you can tell, but it can be done. If your
particular rag is B&W only with medium screen counts then you can get  away
with whatever as long as you come back w/ a good image.

However if you run color or even worse coated papers within the newspaper,
than skill with a wide variety of equipment including hot lights, strobes,
reflectors and diffusers is called for. Oddly enough many of my clients in
the last few years have asked for a more "journilistic" approach to image
creation. HUH? Then why did i buy all this %&&*$$$ gear? No matter what they
always want what they see somewhere else...

I use strobes alot outdoors, for fill. But I also use flags for negitive
fill as well. Diffusers were all the rage sometime ago and now I see stuff
that looks like it was shot w/ a P&S with shadows on the wall behind and
everything!!

thanks I feel better now <vbg>

Les Baldwin