Re:

Gregory, thanks for the recommendations! I know that after so long as a portrait photographer, this will be a whole different ballgame, but I am up for the challange and will take your recommendations on books and go find some "people watching" time in the park.

Angi

From: Gregory david Stempel FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g <fyrframe@centurytel.net>
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Subject: Re:
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:09:50 -0700

Angi,

I would advise purchasing two books, Photojouralism, Content and Technique
by Greg Lewis and Photojournalism; The Professional's Choice by Kenneth
Kobre, two very excellent guides to the profession.

Unlike portrait photography which has virtually nothing to do with
journalism (although you may get the occasional assignment to do a portrait
for an article and people skills are important) you're best bet is to go sit
in the park. Watch the people and interactions around you and train yourself
to read what is going to happen. "Knowing" a scene unfolding in font of you
is one the biggest assets a photographer can have and is only developed
through experience.

I have had several "exclusives" because of this talent. I quickly grab some
useable shots for the coverage (short, medium and wide shots both verticle
and horizontal) then I watch very carefully. I don't just stand, I don't let
the cop tell me I can't be somewhere I know I can. Although, the second most
important asset in this business is networking. Know that street cop is
better than yelling the laws in his or her face. But, knowing the law does
not always garauntee access, your third and final most important asset,
being there.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com
"The brave ones were shooting the enemy, the crazy ones were shooting film"

Get MSN 8 and help protect your children with advanced parental controls. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental