Re: none

Thanks for the advise David, we did spend quite a bit of time on the histogram in our little training session and on the white balance feature and they both seem to be invaluable tools. This camera is such an amazing piece of equipment to me, not sure how long it will take me to learn how to use it and be comfortable, but I can't wait to try!

Angi

From: David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net>
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Subject: Re: none
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:34:31 -0500

Angi Turnpaugh <shutterbug123@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone!
> Just landed postion of part time photog for our small local newspaper
> (circulation 10,000) and I am very excited! Spent two days learning basics
> of Nikon D1H and D1X....my first experience with digital... and a new one
> for the paper as well a long way from the comfort zone of my 20 year old
> Canon AE1-Program!! (2 days was NOT enough) Any words of advice? On the
> camera, or photo journ. in general? This is a whole different slice of
> photography for me as I have done mostly portraits in the past. (will be
> keeping my 7 year position at Sears Portrait Studio for a while...security
> blanket and extra income!)

Learn to use the histogram display.  It tells you an amazing amount
about the image -- you can pretty easily tell if you've clipped
highlights or blocked shadows.  Digital is like slide film in that
*overexposure* is the unforgivable sin (although a sufficient error in
*either* direction is fatal, of course).

And learn to use on-camera bounce flash if you haven't yet.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b@dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>