Re: none

Angi Turnpaugh <shutterbug123@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone!
>   Just landed postion of part time photog for our small local newspaper
> (circulation 10,000) and I am very excited!  Spent two days learning basics
> of Nikon D1H and D1X....my first experience with digital... and a new one
> for the paper as well a long way from the comfort zone of my 20 year old
> Canon AE1-Program!! (2 days was NOT enough)  Any words of advice?  On the
> camera, or photo journ. in general?  This is a whole different slice of
> photography for me as I have done mostly portraits in the past.  (will be
> keeping my 7 year position at Sears Portrait Studio for a while...security
> blanket and extra income!)

Learn to use the histogram display.  It tells you an amazing amount
about the image -- you can pretty easily tell if you've clipped
highlights or blocked shadows.  Digital is like slide film in that
*overexposure* is the unforgivable sin (although a sufficient error in
*either* direction is fatal, of course).

And learn to use on-camera bounce flash if you haven't yet.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b@dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>