Gallery Reviewsre, PF Exhibits on 08-23-03

ADavidhazy <andpph@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> writes:

> The Photoforum gallery is at
> <http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html>.

Been a while since I've tried my hand at some reivews, but a couple of
the photos caught my attention this week.

pop-up dove (Jim Davis) -- Excellent title, to begin with.  The tones
in the feathers, and the sharpness of the image of the dove, are
excellent.  The head is pretty well placed, too, especially for an
image you probably didn't have much time to adjust the framing of.
Something in the tone of the leaves, and also of the (flowers? seeds?)
rubs me the wrong way, though, and there's a *lot* of those leaves.

The chute shakes loose (Emily L. Ferguson) -- That's *spectacular*.
Worth the 3 or 4 years of trying, for sure.  The exposure is
absolutely dead-on in a really difficult situation, too (with the sky
uniformly burned out, but the white areas of the sail all holding
detail).  *And* no sign of flare that I can spot.  I really like the
flowing shape of the spinnaker as it hangs there, and the various
curves in various directions it makes.

Hamilton Library (Greg Fraser) -- Nice problem in "leveling"; with the
chains and sides of the pieces of stained glass going all directions,
plus perspective issues, what will look right?  This looks pretty
good.

Inconspicuous Flower (jIMMY Harris) -- A second rather low-key image
(few light tones).  The set of yellow, golden, brownish tones work
well together.  The side branches coming from behind the two flowers
to (opposite) edges of the picture balance nicely.  No part of the two
flowers shows the sharpness I want in this kind of photo, though.

Boy (Jeff Spirer) -- Nice use of the various overhead wires in the
composition.  The boys face looks really dead, almost zombie-like --
the effect of the eye sockets being so blacked out and the teeth also,
I think.  Gives the phot a rather sinister look.

The Octagon, Wimbledon (Christopher Strevens) -- The dominant feature
in the photo is the brick patters in the pavement; that's probably
what caught your eye in the first place? The arc of buildings in the
background is very precisely placed to look elegantly symmetrical;
which is nice since they're not very elegant buildings. The various
people show as minor distractions, though.

Sunflower (Fred van Sand) -- The stalk in the lower right is burned
out, which distracts considerably from the main subject, particularly
since it's rendered a bit dark.

The Gathering (Louis C Smith) -- Very nice set of shapes, and strong
colors indeed.  This is rather cool (except in color of course :-)).

Dilemma (Peeter Vissak) -- The "dilemma" interpretation would work
better if the two sausages weren't neatly lined up from the puppy's
point of view. Looks like a very find dog.  But somewhat underexposed.

King of the Jungle, up close (Jayanth Vincent) -- That's close all
right.  Panning with him a little? A striking photo.

Thanks to everybody who participates in the Gallery this week!
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b@dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>