Re: Minimizing pinhole image falloff

Guy Glorieux <guy.glorieux@sympatico.ca> writes:

> Hmmm...  Bob,

Yes, Bob is just teasing, because so many people think that a "focal
length" defines the angle of view, by conversion to 35mm format.

> Hence, while any pinhole will always create an image, irrespective of
> the focal length, there corresponds only a single "optimal" pinhole
> diameter for any single focal length.  Check Larry Fratkin's excellent
> "Pinhole Camera Design Calculator" on this subject
> http://www.mrpinhole.com/calcpinh.php

Hmm. His explanation includes the statement: "This is due to a trade off between flare and
fuzziness." I think by "flare" he means "diffraction" (obviously he
does, or the wavelength wouldn't be involved).

(Very clunky, if you ask me, using php to involve a trip to the server
for each calculation.)

> Of course, any object in front of an optimal pinhole will always be in
> focus on the film plane (as long as the object-to-pinhole distance is
> greater than the pinhole-to-film distance).

Huh? You mean as you move the subject closer and closer, there comes a
sudden point (when v = u) when the light rays get confused, and stop
travelling in straight lines?

No, I think your condition in parenthesis is just wrong. Of course, if
the image is large than the subject it's likely to be *very* faint.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at:
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/