Re: Minimizing pinhole image falloff

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Talbot"

> You will be telling us next that focal length of a lens does not
change when you
 > switch "film" formats ;o)

Hmmm...  Bob,
I suppose that you meant that you would change the focal length of your
lens if you wanted to maintain the same angle of view when switching
film format, the change being a function of the diagonal of the film
format.  Otherwise, the focal of a lens is and will always be the focal
of that particular lens.  ;o)

> Of course pinholes have focal lengths - how else could you focus them?
> It's just that any one pinhole has lots of focal lengths, all
positive.

Hmmm...  Did you say "  "focus"-ing" a pinhole?
I guess you refer to the complex calculation one uses to measure the
optimal pinhole diameter, using the film-to-pinhole diatance (focal
length) and some constant related to the wave length of the light...
(See below)

Hence, while any pinhole will always create an image, irrespective of
the focal length, there corresponds only a single "optimal" pinhole
diameter for any single focal length.  Check Larry Fratkin's excellent
"Pinhole Camera Design Calculator" on this subject
http://www.mrpinhole.com/calcpinh.php

Of course, any object in front of an optimal pinhole will always be in
focus on the film plane (as long as the object-to-pinhole distance is
greater than the pinhole-to-film distance).

Regards,   -:))

Guy

P.S.  Optimal pinhole diameter:
For those interested, the basic formula is:
   "Pinhole diameter = 0.0073 * SQR(focal length)
    "where Diameter and focal length are in inches and SQR stands for
square root.
     "For metric system the formula becomes:
     "Pinhole diameter = 0.03679 * SQR(focal length)
      "where Diameter and focal length are in millimeters "
Source: Guillermo Penate http://members.rogers.com/penate/pinsize.htm

Note that the image-creation process of the pinhole is very different
from that of the lens.  Whereas the lens will "focus" (bend) light to
their specific focal point, pinholes create images because, from the
myriad of light rays reflected by an object point, they only let a
single ray through to the film plane.