Re: Brighton Beach Brooklyn and exploitation

LScottPht@aol.com wrote/replied to:

>I agree with a lot of the thoughts that have been said. As to my original
>statement, I was merely stating the legalities of the situation. In my own
>documentary work, I typically either ask permission or give a nod or something to
>make sure it is OK. I feel it is best to get as close to the subject as
>possible, and I don't mean with a long lense. I am doing a story right now on domestic
>abuse, and the women I am working with know that I won't take their picture
>without their permission. I have gone in and spent a lot of time with the
>women, and they have now all agreed to let me photograph them even though they did
>not at the very beginning. Because of the time I have spent with these women
>(and their children I might add), they all feel very comfortable around me and
>have opened up. I now can go about doing my own thing and get candid, natural
>moments. After time, they forget about your presence. If you want to truly
>capture a subject, it is necessary to spend time with the subjects and allow them
>to get comfortable with you. I was there for a full week and a half before I
>took any pictures. Now I am photographing them and their children. But, I
>guess I am what is called a "concerned" photographer, and this type of
>photographer needs to get close to the subjects and really get to know them and their
>situations. I don't think this advice could hurt the street photographer either.

Excellent. I hope your study produces some super photos. This surely
is more satisfying in the long run to a photographer to look back on,
than the stolen moment in time of an unaware subject.

It's obviously documentary photography, a distinct class that comes
close to street photography at times of course.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/