Re: Brighton Beach Brooklyn and exploitation

Peeter Vissak <pv@hot.ee> wrote/replied to:

> It's safe and nice, of course, but this also almost eliminates random candid great moments, one can neither predict nor recall deliberately.

But are we now talking about 'News Photo-Journalism'?

Even there most subjects are aware of the camera.

I'm not sure that there's too much we would lose in the way of great
art. How can anyone be sure if a shot is pure candid with no
awareness, or a candid looking aware photo? What's the difference
anyway? Does it matter?

As any street shooter will tell you, people often look really dumb or
weird when they're caught on camera unaware. I would think that even
with the subject aware, a truly candid looking photo can be made, and
very likely with a higher percentage of not-dumb looking people in it.

As has been exposed, many great and memorable photos from the past
have been later proven to be posed or setup, so it's a fine line we
talk about in street shooting.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/