Re: Brighton Beach Brooklyn and exploitation

Thanks to all for expressing your views.

I agree with the Reverend that we live in different times and feel quite
certain that HCB's subjects did not fear that they were being exploited on a
website pointing out fashion don'ts or being marked for a random extreme
makeover.
I think that public opinion of photographers has degenerated in recent years
due in large part to "paparazzi" photographers. These folks come off as
uncaring and self serving. Opinion probably headed south with a quickened
step after Princess Di was killed. Even I was pissed at those guys.

Interestingly, the only negative response to my candid photographs of late
was from someone I wasn't photographing. Any time that a subject became
aware, I lowered my camera, politely smiled and nodded. Each time I was met
with a positive response.

I wonder if the woman would have stopped me if I had a Canon Sure shot or
it's ilk. Does the long lens and big camera body seem more intimidating?

Anyway, I stand now more determined to keep up the good fight. If I get
something good I'll share it.

If I fail, there's always the birds.

Scot