"Shattered"

Alas, I do not have time to review the entire set of images for the week,
but IMHO "Shattered" is perhaps the best photograph on the RIT site this
summer. And there has been a lot of good work that has been presented.

Davis has done some great (or egret) things in the past couple of months,
and this week is no exception.  He puts emotion into bird shots. His egets
this week pop out so beautifully from the background, yet they look like
they belong where they are. The reflections in the foreground give an added
sense of dimensionality. I like his work.

And Small. He gives the term "street photography" a good connotation.
Perhaps I have seen too much bad street photography (to me) in the past,
presented by people more full of self-bloat than talent. For a long time, I
equated the term "street photography" with "boring." But not with Small's
work. I really like the juxtaposition of thought, season and generation
presented in "Brighton Beach Brooklyn." You see this picture and then you
THINK about this picture.

While I have always been of the opinion that if a person looks at a picture
and says, "Wow! That's beautiful!" it was a good picture.

Now I believe that if a person looks at a picture and and it lingers in the
mind a bit when you go on to something else, it is a more successful
picture. And that is what Small does so frequently.

And this is true also of Fraser's "Shattered." Always the master of
composition, this week's submission is almost haunting in its effect. The
layers of glass and the dark, but certainly discernable, boards give a third
dimension to what appears on the surface as a simple geometric form. The
animal paw print on the left adds just a touch of life to non-living
subject. The two lines of broken glass on the left I find a bit
disconcerting, as it jars the completeness of the gestalt,  but at the same
time they suggest that there is more. There is more beyond that static.
There is more beyond the aged and broken. There is simply, more.

Andy's submission, unique as always, is somewhat confusing though. Is that
clothes I see before me, adorning the model? Surely an artifact of linear
array based digital camera. Surely.

peace

rand