Gallery Viewing

Gallery location: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
Curator: andpph
Current Exhibit: Images from photographers too poor, overworked or mega-dedicated to take a vacation.

Gregory david Stempel (Lillies in the lake) - Man, that water is some kinda clear eh? Beautiful color. I like the way the plants rise from the mist but their central location within the frame seems unnatural. To my tight-cropping eyes, they also seem a little small. I would love to see more detail in the white area specifically that wisp of white coming up from the left.

Jeff Spirer (Dashboard) - I like the way this image is right next to the lilies. They are about as opposite as you can get. This shot figuratively slams me in the face when I first look at it and I'm sure more than a couple 'sportsmen' lost teeth in these machines after spending 8 hours in deer stand with nothing but Earl, two loaded shotguns and 2 bottles of Jack Daniels, seeing no deer then tearing out of the woods and realizing that ditch was about 4 inches wider than it looked. She just reeks of cold, hard metal and glass.

Dan Mitchell (Threesome) - This composition is confusing me. I'm drawn to the dark cleat but the title indicates I should be looking at the birdies. I'm torn but I'm starting to wonder if your inclusion of other objects in your waterfowl shots is indicative or a message deeper than just a love of beautiful plumage?

jIMMY Harris (Cowboy) - Boy junior sure stands out on that dark horse eh? The clothing is so much more saturated than the greens. Couldn't they get a saddle small enough that he could get his boots in the stirrups? What exactly are those piles of darker stuff strewn about the ground? Too much bran in the feed that morning? Is that his horse? He seems to be very intently staring at the horse like someone who is not too familiar with equine transportation (such as myself).

Jim Davis (Cormorant Clowns with Feather) - That's some cool plumage - not flashy or gaudy but sophisticated and subdued. I like the variety of poses but mostly I like the way the guy on the right is leaning away from the feather guy as if the feather guy is always screwing around like this and it always ends up with someone getting knocked into the water.

Greg Fraser (The Carver) - Stupid title. Yeah, ok. There was an abundance of water and the current was quite strong but everything looks a bit more dramatic than it actually was. The camera angle and lens make this look pretty big but the actual drop of the falls was only about 5 feet. This river flows through and has carved out the Bonnechere Caves. The water is pumped out during the summer tourist season but allowed to fill the caves in the winter as an effective vandal deterrent. The river was more exciting than the caves.

Emily L. Ferguson (The Yoyo) - Pretty cool. I like the strips of yellow and white light at the left, the pink skin at the top, the arc of the swingers and the skyline. I just wish the image were flipped horizontally so that I didn't have to fight being flung out the right hand side of the image.

Andrew Davidhazy (George Eastman House interior) - Wow! That's eerily similar to my own main room in my house except for my plants are all dead and my elephant head was chewed up pretty bad when we accidentally left the front door open when we went on vacation and some fly-by-night driveway paving squatters moved in and had their way with it.

My thanks to the gallery staff and fellow submitters for this weeks nourishment.

Greg Fraser
Slapper of Newts
"Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery