Them pesky jaggies

I'm scanning some images that I took while on vacation last week. I'm scanning them at 4000dpi because I will eventually want to print them. I also want to display them on my website. Since I want the website versions to be as close as possible to the printed version, I am making my adjustments on the 4000dpi file, saving that and then resizing the image for web viewing. I am adjusting the pixel dimensions to approximately 500 pixels on the longest side. Several of my images have clearly defined diagonal edges (not all of them Luis) which end up with the jaggies.

I'm wondering if this is unavoidable when downsampling? I've tried scanning at 75dpi but the images looked even worse to me.

Since you're probably dying to ask, yes I had a wonderful time. I bought a Manfrotto tripod and ball head (brand new! not eBay) before I left and they worked marvelously. My old tripod lost a foot a while ago and I had to epoxy it back on but it ended up 1/2 inch longer than the other legs. Then one leg developed the habit of dropping completely off the tripod when extended. The Manfrotto is a joy by comparison.

Greg Fraser