Re: Them pesky jaggies

On Friday, July 25, 2003 at 14:24
Gregory Fraser <photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu> wrote:

> I'm scanning some images that I took while on vacation last week. I'm
> scanning them at 4000dpi because I will eventually want to print them. I
> also want to display them on my website. Since I want the website versions
> to be as close as possible to the printed version, I am making my
> adjustments on the 4000dpi file, saving that and then resizing the image
> for web viewing. I am adjusting the pixel dimensions to approximately 500
> pixels on the longest side. Several of my images have clearly defined
> diagonal edges (not all of them Luis) which end up with the jaggies.

You shouldn't get any jaggie downsampling. Change the resize method in
you program. Bicubic is usually the slowest - and best.

Since most people have monitors 1024-1600 pixels wide, you might increase
your size.

tOM
---- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur ----
   ,__@	tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:+1-270-596-1042
 _-\_<,	758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)		ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714
safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too
much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
-Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826)