Re: Kick-starting a conversation (maybe)

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:14:51 +0100 Qkano <wildimages@lineone.net> writes:

> My current project is to take some macro photographs of a wasp
> (yellowjacket) nest in my garden.  Shhh ... don't tell the
> neighbors,
> I think we are supposed to call pest control ;o)  Anyway, it's got
> two
> problems:
>
> 1) it's facinating just to watch them at their business from a safe
> distance.  the complexity achieved from "stupid little robots" is
> amazing.
> 2) when I set up the tripod close enough for the shots I want they
> keep flying into me on their way back to the nest: call me neurotic
> but the slightest "nudge" of the bush the nest is built in seems to
> bring them all swarming out:  I've become quite good at the 50-m
> dash.
>

> I'll probably put one up in the gallery sometime if I get it right
> ;o)
>
> Bob

Very interesting and even more dangerous! Those vicious little robots can
kill! Be sure to check your clothing after they swarm. They will land and
stop buzzing while they continue to sting the cloth until they hit flesh.
I am experienced in this matter. Been to the hospital twice for stings. :
- (
Keep the Benedryl Elixir handy just in case, and take a swig on the way
to the emergency room! As for photographing the vermin, get a dead one.
If the queen survives her cycle, other queen wanna-be's ( no pun) will
set up new nests close by. Be afraid, be very afraid, and be careful! We
don't want to hear about your demise from a family member!
Shyrell