photographing wasps

Making macro-photographs of wasps on the loose is certainly a pretty exciting
undertaking! Good luck!

I approached the problem by placing them in a confined space and then
made them take their own picture so to speak. I found that trying to stalk them
as the flitted about was much too difficult. I also wanted them in flight and
with relatively sharp wings. I also found my reaction time was too slow to
ensure sharp pictures at macro scale due to small focusing errors.

So, as they flew from one side of a covered fish tank to the other every so
often they passed through crossed laser beams (camera on tripod was focused
where the two beams crossed) and this would start a chain of events that
eventually caused a Vivitar 283 operating at 1/32nd power to flash and the
record to be made.

Since the process was automatic I left the set up while going to lunch or
overnight and next visit just checked the frame counter to see if any pictures
had been made. The system worked quite well!

andy