D10, Lenses, and Computers...

At 09:16 PM 7/5/2003 -0700, you wrote:

I'm switching to Canon. I'm getting a D10 and a used EOS-1 for my back-up/
film body.

I plan on covering the gamut with a 24-70 and an 80-200 to start.

Any opinion on off brands? Tokina/Sigma etc.

I've used a ton of "off brands" in the last fifty years or so and have found that up to a point, you get the value you pay for. An exception is an old battered and beat up sigma 24-50 that gives good results and will not die after being dropped, buried in sand (once), drenched in saltwater spray (twice) and rained on (often). It is my lens of choice when I'm heading out for storm pictures.

I've also had good results with a Tamron long zoom but replaced it with a Canon 75-300 IS which is a little soft around the edges wide open on an EOS film body. On a D60, with a much smaller image circle requirement, the edges are more than sharp enough. I've replaced it once (no fault of the lens) and the price is very reasonable at around $400US if you shop around.

Another lens option to consider is a Sigma 50-500. Pop-photo claims it is the sharpest long zoom they ever tested, (up to about three years ago). Not cheap but I know one photographer who swears by the images (and curses the size and weight) at the end of a shoot. If you are young, hale, and hardy, it's four pounds should be outweighed by the image results.

Getting a new computer as well to handle the new digi info.

Thanks in advance...Scot

Cool... take a look at some of the micros like the Shuttle SB51G/SN41G2 or the QBic EQ3000. These little PCs are about the size of a 4slice toaster and as powerful as anything on the desktop. I'm working hard on justifying one just for presentations. Shuttle and VIA have had the micro market covered but competition is showing up and prices will fall. Check out:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030318/

You can build one up from a "bare bones" for less than $500US (plus monitor) or have one customized for you at less than $1000US.

Dave
East Englewood
"The sharpest extremely long-focal-length zoom we have ever tested, and incredibly good short-focal-length performance...." (Popular Photography, July 2000, on the Sigma 50-500 zoom).