From: Norman Ford
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 11:14 PM
Subject: Forum content vs. stated purpose

A...photo-imaging education and professional practice discussion list
A major goal of this network is to serve as a communications link for photo
educators, and interested others, dedicated  to discussion of photography
and imaging including aesthetics, processes, history, digital imaging,
instructional strategies, criticism, equipment and techniques, especially,
but not exclusively, as these apply in an  educational setting.
This is the subtitle and the stated goals of this forum. If these are in
fact the goals then IMHO something is amiss. (Perhaps the goals of this
forum have changed?)

I joined some months back based on the statement above and have been reading
the digests daily. I am a photographer and educator with a good bit of
experience (20+ yrs) who was hoping to find a forum to discuss technical and
conceptual matters at a reasonably intelligent level. Instead I've found,
with a few very notable exceptions, messages containing gossip, mindless
(understandable on any list), utterly off-topic postings, and so on. [note
the content of the last few days]

I am hoping this is not a reflection of what are clearly some very
professional and well intentioned posters but perhaps more an odd conflation
of people and interests over the past months.
I am not trying to insult anyone here so please don't take offense - but I
am looking for a forum that is for "photo-imaging education and professional
practice".

The way things stand I fear you are losing talented and helpful members who
might add much to the discussion. I truly hope others find this forum
helpful - I honestly can't say that I have.

Norman

--
Norman Jackson Ford -
Visiting Lecturer,

PhD (ABD)
Dept. of Comparative Literature (and Cultural Studies),
University of Hong Kong