Re: Forum content / Dig Photo crse projects

Norman, > OK so lets give it a try. I am finishing a syllabus on Digital Photography > (2nd yr Univ level course). Am trying to come up with original, fun and > challenging projects/assignments.  Its 15 weeks, 3 hrs per, with 5 > assig. and 2 major projects. Focuses on image editing, portfolio development > and the relationships between conventional and digital imaging. Any ideas out > there? I would be very grateful for something creative, practical and > engaging. I don't teach digital photography as a course but am interested in various applications and of particular interest to me is "scanning" imaging - such as Bruce Weitzman showed in the gallery this weekend. This is an offshoot of film based scanning technology which was much more "obscure" than its digital conterpart. Anyway, in a digital photography course I would consider including some mention of scanning imaging as accomplished with flat bed scanners. Some applications that include time as a function of the final image. Of course, the use of the flat bed scanner as an photography or imaging tool is being exploited by many photo instructors starting as early as elementary school and we have had several exhibits in the student gallery sponsored by PhotoForum that demonstrated the creative potential of this "technique". However, I'd stretch that to situations where the subject is moved on the glass platen to cause hopefully interesting variations on the normal or correct reproduction of a variety of subjects - from those that we can easily recognize such as hands or faces to more ambiguous subjects such as possibly plants or simply light/dark/color patterns. Of course, inclusion of panoramic photography by stitching or panoramic photography by continuous scanning is another subject worthy of mention - maybe this could be a course on its own in fact! Further, there is a lot that could be done in terms of the _time_ aspect of the scanner. From measuring frequency, vibration, rotation, rate of change, etc. etc. ... if you have an interest in the technical applications. Unfortunately I don't have a syllabus already designed - as I said I don't teach "digital photography" as a separate course but if I did I would certinly not ignore the possibilities afforded by digital scanning technology!! regards, Andrew Davidhazy, Professor School of Photographic Arts and Sciences/RIT andpph@rit.edu http://www.rit.edu/~andpph