Re: Emily Ferguson - Seascapes

As for Herb Ritts, it would be his estate. He died a couple months ago at the very young age of 50...

And yes, you'd be in deep water with his estate if your copies were unmistakably of his work, but recently there were a couple of copying cases tried in courts and both the original shooters lost. See, and incidentally read regularly, Photo District News. Or go to PDN's site.

So generally, if an image has been registered with the Copyright Office, then you're vulnerable if you get caught. If it hasn't been, then it's not worth going to court so you get away with it...

So it comes down to honesty; actually, in my opinion, the place where all issues between people should reside.

Before we go any further with this conversation, it would be just wonderful to hear from Bobbert, as he promised, despite his hangover! And the sooner the better.

There are others on this list who can speak to these issues - Tina Manley probably has thoughts about the subject of licensing for reproduction in another medium, and Les Baldwin, too. It would also be interesting to hear from them.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com 508-563-6822