Gallerial impressions

Inspired as I am by Bobert's concise comments, I present my deepest thoughts on this weeks images at the PF Gallery
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Rich Mason (America) - Darkety, dark bottom under an artificially illuminated, flat white, rectangle blocking out the lovely pink and rich blue sky. Drama and politics rolled into one. Sunsets are a dime a dozen but aside from the black splotch top center, a very competent paint job on the billboard.

Emily I. Ferguson (Eucalypts) - Lots of curvy, squirrely complementary lines but I would prefer fewer of them at once. The contrast between highlights and shadows seems too broad for the subject.

Dan Mitchell (The Princess Royal) - You're right that this building is almost-symmetrical. I wonder why you didn't crop more from the right to center the door in the frame. As it is, I find it disturbingly off balance. The person with his nose pressed against the right hand side of the door frame bothers me too. I really like the lighting though and the shadows it produces.

Peeter Vissak - This composition really, really appeals to me. The branch bottom right would be distracting if it didn't perfectly meet the clothes line post. As it is, it divides the frame into thirds. The top third is a pleasant, rustic scene. Bottom left though is lone, limp, stark white shirt hanging upside down. Although it's just a shirt, I can't help but get a bad feeling from looking at it as if it represents a lost child.

Amy West (Michelle) - The cropped eye is bothersome for me. It looks as if the face is being sucked out of the frame where her right eye hits the frame. The over softening and the overly orange caste also bother me.

Robin G. Ramos (Turnstile) - I like the repetition and variation or rectangles here and those two red eyes on the turnstiles. I would have cropped the sides to remove the two railings and the triangles they rode in on in the upper corners though.

Tim Mulholland (Venice - Walk at Night...) - I have a hard time getting the elements of this image to fit together. Glaring light at the left, large red swatch behind it, fluorescent greenish section center and sodium vapor lit panel on the right. That's really not so bad but they are separated by dark shadow which makes the image look like a montage and not a real scene.

Rubin Diehl Filho (Ticiana #37) - Love the title. Like she's clone #37 or a piece of equipment. The look on her face seems very forced as if she's trying unsuccessfully to look wistful. But maybe that's the way she always looks. Still, I have a hard time getting past it and appreciating the image. Next time pay the extra 10% and go for model #38.

Gregory david Stempel (Aloft) - Nice sky. I get a relaxed feeling looking at this. Quite a bit of banding around the clouds though.

Bill Ellis (Souvenirs) - I love the look on the cop's face. You can tell he's thinking 'Oooh! a photographer! Since 911 I have the right to shove that camera down or up any hole on his body in the name of Homeland Security. Let's see, shove it up or down....up or down....what the heck! Up it is!'

Thanks to all the contributors this week and the thanks to the PF staff for their selfless nature and dedication to duty.

Greg Fraser
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery