canon flash question

After having spent many tries this day to get on the Canon User Group
I've been unsuccessful yet need some help with my Canon EX series
flashes. I'm asking here in the hope someone can help.

I have the 550EX and the 420EX flashes. The 550 can run as a master and
the 420 as a slave and I've been quite successful in getting this to
work with no trouble. What I want to do is work with ratios and I'm
unclear if I can do ratios with the 550 and the 420 ONLY or if I need a
couple 420s to make it go.

Anyone familiar with this?
Lea

Lea Murphy