Re: Camera drowning

> A brand new (less than 5 days old) Nikon F100 and Nikkor 28-105 also a
> 75-300 Nikkor, all drowned in the lake. Completely submerged for about
four
> minutes. Are they salvageable or total losses?

given the lapse between when you first posted and when I read the messages,
your camera is probably cactus.

but, you could try dumping it in alcohol (methanol/ethanol) after thorough
rinsing with distilled water - alcohol is hydroscopic and will absorb the
water.  Repeat soaking it in fresh changes of alcohol before drying it the
dry air of an airconditioner.  The alcohol is volatile and will evaporate
off taking whatever residual water may be around.

this process should be adequate to remove any residual salts that may pose
immediate risk to the circuits, but a camera tech should be sought out as
soon as possible afterwards.

New cameras have far more electronics than the older ones and given that the
accountants drive manufacturing these days, you can sadly be sure that in
the pursuit to save a $, the circuits are finer and have far less tolerance
to any sort of abuse :-(

sorry

Karl