galler review 07/06/03

My comments for this weeks PF members gallery, located at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Thanks to the (few!) people who responded to my reviews last week. I
think it would be great if more people would respond, so we could have
some actual discussions about photography. -- and not just about
nudity... I see that some wanna-be-censors could have reason to come out
of the closet this week!

Emily L. Ferguson - Rattlesnake grass
Nice, harmonious image, well balanced. Good colors, but maybe a bit
overexposed. Very good composition; the straight vertical straws and the
curved movement of the ... things (...now where is my dictionary!) even
including the out-of-focus ones at the top.

Jim Davis - Spotbilled with ducklings
More birds Jim?! Seriously though, This is very cute. Well captured,
well composed actually.

Jeff Spirer - Laundry
Excellent image. Makes me calm down, takes me back to the narrow, quiet
Mediterranean streets. Mhmmmm.... Wonderful composition, well balanced.
You really make the clear blue sky work as an abstract element -
actually the dominating element. And the final touch; the blue color
repeated in the laundry. Mastery!

Pini Vollach - Laundry
The colors really make this one; the low sunlight on the sheets, and the
pink walls and the afternoon sky. And not a single straight line! Makes
it dynamic and alive, where Jeff's was calm and time-less. One eye-bug
is the thing popping out from the top. Otherwise, great shot.

Bill Ellis - Windmill
Wonderfully simple; only three colors, sky, grass, fence and mill. So
formally it works, but I can't help but wanting another pole to support
the fence... it seems to be falling, out of balance. Only slightly, but
still...

Will Coveleskie - Daniel
A man in movement, looking down - not the macho type, but a more
reflective, thinking type. Makes me stop and wonder for a minute. But
not much more...

Jose Luis Vasconcellos - My wife pregnant
Hiding the pubic hair, so the Black List Censor doesn't get you banned
8-] Seriously: Good image; suggests the soon-to-come new life by the way
she's looking down and the way she stands. Expectations, joy - natural
human sensations.

Marilyn Dalrymple - Buster Riley
I don't like dogs. Well, I don't like other peoples dogs! But then he is
not someones dog... hm. Does not make me stop and wonder too much. I
can't say I ever saw an interesting photo of someones pet - very
difficult subject matter it must be!

Dan Mitchell - The Flag
He,... tension, separatist tendencies, crumbling empire. Has she just
cast her vote in favor of another popular peoples' politician? Works
fine as it poses its question, or conflict, quite clearly. Not the kind
of thing to hang on your wall. Documentary, in the broad sense  I guess.

Bob Talbot - Perspective
Fun excercise, and the kind of thing that would get you into any photo
salon a couple of years ago. (and maybe still some...). Other than the
visual fun, it's hardly an interesting image.

Christopher Strevens - AAAH
Ahhhh...., I was laughing out loud!! Hilarious!! But why use PhotoSpoil
for this, when you could do it by hand with pens, brushes and crayons.

Gustaf L Bjerne - What my eyes saw
Yes, what did he see? Very good, colorful portrait. Ready for a page in
National Geographic. Bra!

So, many very good images this week, and as a whole better than normal.

Cheers,
Thomas