Re: Home Studio

Let me Martha Stewart you on this...she's a bit busy right now and
appreciates the help.

I share several of your concerns since my office, meeting space and studio
are in my home.

Firstly, I keep my equipment locked in a closet (yes, with a real live dead
bolt lock) when it's not being used. I'm not flashy about discussing what I
shoot when speaking with clients. I have an alarm system AND I USE IT every
single time I leave the house.

Now then...I would suggest some sort of screen to hide your electronics from
view. Pier One, Restoration Hardware, these types of shops would likely have
something you could use that would be moble enough for you to place in front
of equipment when you are expecting company to keep it from view. If you're
handy (Martha assumes you are) you could build one to suit your needs,
taste, color and space. You might consider a HUGE reflector to tie in to the
photo studio theme....and down the road you may actually need to use it.

Have you considered setting up your backdrop in front of your electronics? I
use the area behind my backdrop for storage up in my studio. I could have a
carcass back there and no one would know.

You might consider a different type of desk/cabinetry for your electronics.
You can find (or, again, make) a desk that hides the contents behind closed
doors. May not be practical but then again, it may be an easy fix. If your
electronics are on open shelves you might consider adding doors to the
fronts of some to hide what's behind.

Last but not least you could toss an old blanket (Martha is rolling) over
your valuables while strangers are in your home. Make it a pretty one at
least.

I keep a data sheet on everyone who calls me for a shoot. I record name,
phone numbers, address, dates, times, photo goals and price quotes on this
sheet. Someone could give me false info, sure, but so far no one has. Having
info on people, I'm guessing, keeps them honest. And that's a good thing.

Lea