Re: Temperature tempering device?

Evan Parker wrote:

> Is there a device sold or easily built that will temper a water bath to 68
> degrees, or at least somewhere near that? If so, where could I buy such an
> item, or where may I obtain the schematics to build it? I'm having a tough
> time with temperature control with my film developing.

Tom & Emily cover the basic and specific solutions.  There are many
thermostatic mixing valves on the market.  eBay is a decent source for used
ones.  I bought mine from a national supply/repair company for commercial
processors who happen to be headquartered near here.  I bought two and picked
the best parts.  Works well for tempering the water consistently to the
desired temperature.

When the room temperature is warmer than the "soup" I  cool it with freezer
cold packs and water in a stainless beaker.  When the room temperature is
cooler, I use a waterbed heater.  This works for about 20 minutes because the
thermostat has too large a tolerance.  But that is long enough for most film
developing sessions.

I've been told that I can hardwire a more exact thermostat to the heater
pad.  One that has a +/- 1/2º F. tolerance would be ideal.  Jobo's heater
unit for their CPA & CPP units would be an excellent alternative.

Peace!
Sidney

--
God said, Let there be light!
Divine Light: Photography by Rev. Sidney Flack