Re: Gallery Reviews

Several lister comments on my gallery pic, John
D'earth and Conrad Herwig...

Brian:

>I liked your photo; I can't say I could 'read' a
story
>from it...

Yes, story might be the wrong word, but I'm
remembering a photographer whom I respect quite a bit.
 When he looks at one of my photos that he thinks
doesn't work, he'll often ask "what's the story here?"
 In these cases, there's usually no story, no point,
no real reason to have pressed the shutter.

>I understand the 'cliche' point - if you are not
>particularly interested in jazz musicians, one of
>their portraits may look much like any other, just as

>someone not interested in flowers may feel the same
>about _another_ floral pic.

My primary audience is myself.  Secondarily, I shoot
for fans and bands.  All of us--fans, bands, and
me--are pretty easy to please, when it comes to photos
of musicians at work.  As you say, my goal is to reach
beyond the usual suspects.

Gregory:

>John Edwin Mason (John D'earth and Conrad Herwig) - I

>see this as a very strong image. Shifting focus to
the
>background person leaves no doubt this image is about

>him and not that son of a bitch in front of him once
>again stealing the limelight.

Chuckle, snort.  He really does look like he was
glaring, which he honestly was not.  Who was it that
said that the camera always lies?

>I like this shot very much since, to me, it
transcends
>the setting and the professions of the two subjects.

Thanks much.

Thomas:

>Maybe could be intensified by cropping the microphone

>part on the right.

One of the delights of the digital age is that I could
try this advice without getting my hands wet.

Cheers, John

=====
J. Mason, Charlottesville, Virginia