Re: Almost have this thingdown..........................................

Le 24.5.2003 5:17, «?Russell Baker?» <rebphoto@pronetisp.net> a écrit?:

> Ok here is where I am at.......
>
> I have done calibration of my monitor and
> done the set up with Adobe Gamma Wizard.

Congratulations..

> When I bring up my Epson 820 printer
> and go through all the set up steps I am
> fine until I get to the final dialog box.

That's the place where you loose your live or win the game ;-)

> The box asks me what space I should use.
> Since I used Adobe 1998 in my set up
> and calibration I assume I use that.
>
> There is also a place where I either
> check or un check for weather I want
> to use Printer Color Management
>
> Do I check this or uncheck this?

Russ, I don't remember which version of PS you are using and things are a
little different for each versions. In PS 6 or 7, I'd say color space =
"same as source" (in your case this will keep the Adobe RGB space) and I'd
check the Printer Color Management box; this means that the Epson driver is
doing the conversion for the Epson paper profiles automatically, when you
choose the kind of paper you'll be using in the Epson driver window.
Usually, as long as you are using the Epson inks and papers, this should be
a good solution. If you are not satisfied with the results, try using the
SRGB colorspace instead of the Adobe RGB colorspace. Everything in the
Window world is calibrated for the SRGB space and often you get the best
results without tweaking anything, especially if you have calibrated your
monitor with your own naked eyes.

IF you uncheck the printer color management checkbox, that means you have to
convert your picture from the standardized Adobe RGB space to the printer
color profiles; so in the first question asking what color space should be
used, you have to feed in the profile of the Epson paper you plan to use,
instead of your working space.  the Epson printers drivers contain several
profiles for each kind of papers, usually about 4 different profiles (in
newer drivers, I've heard that they can be difficult to find out). You have
to look for files named *.icm and to put a copy of them in a place where you
can find them from the PS dialogue box.

Not knowing exactly which environment and which PS version you are using
makes it difficult to be more precise. But you should look at that place :

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/articles.htm

That guy is writing about how to calibrate your system for printing and how
to print since a long time and his site includes directions for the PS users
since version 5 to 7. His explanations are clear and straight forward :
there is no long reading, just plain screenshots showing the settings to use
and two or three lines of explanations. There are often two or three ways to
do things; depending on your environments, one may work best than the other.

Good luck with your printing.

--
Christiane