From: "Don Roberts" <droberts@inav.net>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: Bronica worth repairing?

> FWIW, and I know this will irritate the Bronica S lovers, I bought a
> Bronica S many years ago.  I wanted the Nikkor lenses and was impressed
> with the design and engineering.  I had the camera for 16 months but
> could only use for about a month of that time.  The rest of the time it
> was being repaired (3 times in 16 months).  Beautiful camera but very
> loud, heavy and prone to breakdown.  If it were me I would investigate
> selling to one of the many Bronica S, S2 fans.  The 400mm lens might be
> in high demand.   BTW, since then I have acquired an extensive ETRSi
> system and love it.  They are everything the S was not.  Still you have
> gotten quite a bargain considering the pittance you have in the cameras.
>  If you like the camera and don't mind putting out some money and have a
> lot of patience, you might be intrigued by the S2.  I wouldn't mess with
> the S based on my experience.
> Don Roberts
>
> Gregory Fraser wrote:
>
> >A serious question if I may.
> >
> >At a recent auction I purchased a boat load of camera gear. In the lot
were two Bronica SLRs and lenses for same. I got an S and an S2 (with
focusing helical), 2 75mm Nippon lenses, a 55m (maybe 50) Nippon lens and a
400mm Nippon lens and 3 film backs. I paid $20 US for each of the cameras
(including 75mm lenses) and $5.00 for each of the 55mm and 400mm lenses.

> >When I fired the cameras, they both froze mid-stream after the mirrors
dropped down. I think this may just be from lack of use. I would like to
keep one of the cameras if the cost of getting it running is not too high
and its not likely to crap out again in a year.

> >Does anyone have knowledge of the reliability of these machines? How
about the cost of cleaning, lubricating and adjusting?

> >Just so you can be super jealous, I also picked up a Leica IIIf with 50mm
and 35mm lenses for $20. Quite a lot of corrosion on the outside but glass
is clean and the shutter has fires cleanly at all speeds. Very, very
impressive.