Nude - Why?

Happy Friday,

I have enjoyed the comments on my piece and the
exchange resulting from its posting.

I gladly welcome the response I've received from my
first submission. It takes me back to my grad school
days when I brought my projects to class where my
peers vilified the pieces for objectifying the female
form, etc. I welcome a greater sense of objective
criticism from this group.

Following my thesis I avoided the nude as a subject
for 11 years. I was ?embarrassed? or ?ashamed? of my
interest in the nude and was not up for a fight. I
started this project last summer after making a
concerted effort to create a cohesive body of work. I
thought it only fair since I was teaching photography
that I should start producing again.

Through much therapy and tremendous support from my
wife, who posed for my thesis show, is not the model
here but, was present at the shoot as my assistant, I
persevered and completed my first show in 11 years.

Over this time I have carefully examined my feelings
and attitudes about the nude female as subject. Am I a
deprived pervert? Am I making up for something denied
in my life? Am I fulfilling a relationship or sexual
void? No. I like photographing the nude in abandoned
man-made locations. I respond positively to the
classic nude figure in these settings. The images
speak volumes to me and I hope they maintain some
level of artistic value.

The nude - no clothing, no jewelry, no sense of time,
social standing, culture or style. It provides the
sense of humanity connecting with a location without
an individual imprint.

I look forward to contributing more images.

Jeff

=====
Jeff McSweeney
Photographer