Re: looky here, new thread, Gallery Review 2003-5-15

What I meant was that the poem was a series of images. It does not state how the person feels or what he thinks. It does not say the person is depressed. It just puts a series of "things", i.e., funeral, wife, room, wide bed. The reader looks at these images and, hopefully, gets the point.

Compare it with the opening of King Richard III:

Now is the winter of our DISCONTENT
Made glorious summer by the sun of York;

We know the feeling of DISCONTENT because the poet says so, very bluntly to our face. This is the difference.

Elson

Rosemarie Hernandez wrote:

No, it isn't--it can only be a shot of someone staring into a bedroom--at best, melodramatic.  It needs the words to induce a "conflict" though even then I see none--something sad, that's about it for me. regards,joseph

nazca@cdo.weblinq.com wrote:

:
Arriving from the funeral of my wife,
I headed straight to our room.
How wide the bed.
The image created here is photographic, isn't it? It doesn't say that the persona is acutely depressed. His condition is not stated. But from the picture, we can see: A conflict caused by the memory of desired presence, and the current absence.

Elson

Do you Yahoo!?