Re: PF members' exhibits 05-04-03

My opinions on this weeks work.

Marilyn Dalrymple: Chasing Shadows
A fine art piece. I don't like it for personal reasons. The image itself
appears well thought out, creative and fitting the world of art. But, I see
it as stark, unfriendly and lacking purpose. The harsh lighting is devoid of
any intimacy. The subject exemplifies bold uncaring definition.

Elson T. Elizaga: Assassin
Very dramatic and in your face look at what appears to be a dead bug.
Technically well shot image. Detail of the invertebrate is clear and evenly
lit. I wonder how a polarizer may have helped with the specular highlights.

One note: This bug appears dead, but in fact was frozen. This is not only
cruel, but considered quite taboo in some circles. Please, put these
subjects into a small terrarium type setting. An old empty aquarium with a
few grasses is all you need. Place a piece of glass across the inside of the
tank to hold the subject close to one side. A far more humane approach to
imaging living creatures.

Rick Kessler: mmmm mmmm goood
The perfect postcard image. A quality job done in stitching the images
together. Sensual lighting, peaceful and inviting. The image is well
balanced, palm trees to the left, large similarly dark forestry section on
the right and darkened cloud formation finishing the peak of the symbolic
triangle.

King/Arthur: Shoe Repair
An image that pushes. It pushes the colors, the sharpness, the compositional
structuring and it's focus. Classic depiction of the power of any version of
photoshop. I do believe the image fails in it's perspective. I doubt it was
intentional, but the lights are crooked. The lines in the particle board
ceiling are very apparent and also crooked. I can not find any purpose to
this loss of control and therefore assume it is simply a oversight.

Rich Mason
Yet another rendition of our country's patriotic fervor. This shot is well
done but lacks excitement. A good choice in leaving the reflective nature of
the glass and juxtaposing the two flags. These two elements created a strong
composition. The person in the larger flag's red band adds just a touch of
completion in the setup of the scene.

Dan Mitchell: Mill
An almost mysterious look at a traditional scene. The artist's enhancements
have created an awesome image. All of the elements in this image contribute
to a melding of the viewer's paradigm of expecting the typical friendly
ambience, with the darkness of the rem state in our world of sleep. A scene
plucked from the film reel of our last dream.

Kostas Papakotas: is that Dog Life?

The scene is warm and friendly. Cute, but lacks excitement.  The colors are
muted and flat. There is a harsh specular highlight on the lower left corner
of the frame that, once noticed is hard to ignore. Composition is
comfortable. It does appear the dog has a good life and this is always fun
to see.

Robin G. Ramos: Ascending
If this image was not staged, then it's a great shot. The very nature of
what makes photography stand out in the world of contrived art. Here, the
photographer was prepared, saw the development of a composition that beg to
be photographed and took the shot. Classic Lee Freidlander, classic
"seeing." Comp. is strong. It appears luck provided just enough color in the
sky to hold the upper frame edge in place. The image carries itself without
the need for words.

David Small
Another classic example of the power of photography over other mediums. We
see here literally, a moment captured in time, the very essence of our
profession. We can study frozen motion, simple human nature and the
structures we have learned to take for granted. We see only a child's face,
which in symbol represents the future. My two complaints are the large
negative space in the upper right corner and lack of sharpness overall.

Christopher Strevens, LRPS: Busker at Kingston
I like this image, the casual nature of the brush strokes that create the
framing of the image, especially the long stroke along the left column the
musician sits next to. The lack of definition is the key to this image.
There is not real detail, yet plenty of information. There are not distinct
borders around the actual scene yet if feels complete. Photoshop did a great
job._grin Just kidding. A sad story though, and typical of our economics
these days. Lets hope Jane's future is as bright as this image.

Jayanth Vincent: Indian Dance
Typical stage shot. The image is sharp, colorful and well composed. The
subject is interesting as well. The photographer gives us a good rendering
of detail, but nothing for intimacy. We are close, but we do not feel. I am
ignorant to this type of dance, and therefore can not comment intelligently
on the story. The pose seems symbolic, but I do not know about the
expression.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g