Re: Question about lenses

Were you friends using the Identical camera and lens?  Complicated zooms
(especially early Motion Picture lenses) used to be calibrated in T-stops
instead of f/stops--T for transmission was supposed to factor in things like
flare and vignetting and internal reflections rather than the theoretical
f/stop--very important when matching exposures on movie stock where
intercutting shots made with lenses with different transmission factors
would yield a master negative roll with different negative densities as the
scene was cut (a royal PITA to say the least).

Two things come to mind: the Pentax engineers may have been using a
calibration scheme designed to put more density on the film or your friend's
cameras may have actually been producing a top speed closer to 1/500
regardless of what the dial said they were shooting (quite common before
electronic shutter controls).  To me 1/1000 @f/4 with proper exposure sounds
much better than 1/1000 @ f/5.6 and a stop less exposure density.  (I'll
raise your $0.11 a dime).

And regarding the original question posted, in a perfect optical world and
assuming all three lenses had their field of view filled by a neutral gray
background and that all three cameras had been calibrated by the same
technician on the same day to the same standard you'd probably still see
measurable (but acceptable) differences in the slides, prints, or whatever
produced by the three systems.  I am at a loss as to why this would bother
anyone since photography can only interpret reality it isn't the original
scene.

darkroommike