Digital Photo Autentication

Hi,

I was talking to a friend, amateur photographer too, and he asked me something I couldn´t answer ... so I´m looking for you help.
Is it possible to check if a digital photo was manipulated or not??? I mean not visually but by some log or data recording reading from the very image file???
Other question ... If a photo was shot in an analogic way (negative or slide) and then digitalized, you can ask the photographer to show the original in a way to prove that that photographer was the real owner of the image ... but if the photo was done digitally, how can you ask the photographer to prove that he was the owner of the image?? Just truth in his word??

Yours,

Charles

T+

Charles