Re: Brian Walski Fired.

Here is the timeline of the flag raising(s) on Mt. Suribachi.  In his own
words, Rosenthal said it was staged (well it wasn't quite) but he did not
get ashore to take a photo of the first flag raising a little after 10 am.
The famous Joe Rosenthal photo is of the second flag raising.

http://www.centurytel.net/amlegionlacrosse/iwojima1.htm

"The information provided comes from Iwo Jima, by Richard Newcomb 1982.
Naval action information is from The Fast Carriers:The Forging of an Air
Navy, Clark Reynolds."

"2/23 First units of Marines now at the top of Mt. Suribachi after bitter
fighting.

Patrol led by Lt. Harold Schreir raises a small flag on top of Mt.
Suribachi. at 10:20 A.M.

Later a larger flag is brought from an LST(Landing Ship Tank) and raised.

Advancements to north now have advanced to the second airfield which is
located in the center of the island."

also:
http://www.wwiivets.com/IssueXIV/wells_article.htm

Well, during this period, Forestall, Secretary of the Navy, landed and he
saw the flag. And he looked at it and he said - and this was reported by
somebody - "That flag means the Marine Corps for another 500 years!" and
then he turned to an aide and said, "I'd like to get that flag. Have that
flag sent to me."

So, we were going along our way and suddenly the colonel got this message:
Congratulations, but Forestall wants the flag. And my colonel was a feisty
fellow, short and tough as can be. And he said, "He's not going to have this
flag, this flag belongs to this battalion! Get another flag!"

So we got an officer to go down to the beach to get a flag and then he
yelled, "get a bigger one and we'll put that one up." By the way, nobody
knows of any of this. Nobody was recording it.

So we got the second flag and that was brought up to the mountain. Well,
during this episode, Rosenthal, the AP photographer, came along and said "I
want to go up to the mountain and take a picture of the flag." and he was
given that permission.

So the second flag arrived and the officer, Schreir (in charge in this
case), wanted to take one flag down and put the other one up at the same
time. I don't know why but that's what he told us afterwards. So they were
getting this ready when Rosenthal came up. And the Marine corps photographer
who had gone up on the patrol had taken the picture and he said to him, "You
know, we put the flag up and I've got the picture already."

They had lined the flag up and put all the troops in front yelling and
celebrating and took the picture, which became known as the gung-ho picture
of the flag raising. So that was all settled. That had been done. Then
Rosenthal said, "Well, for some reason they are putting up another flag," so
he turned and took a picture of the flag, which later became the most
reproduced picture of the war. And he didn't even set his timing or do any
of the things that photographers normally do. And then when the flag was up
he went and got the gung-ho picture. Everyone was yelling and you could see
everybody's face and you knew who everybody was. Then that was completed and
slowly everybody came down. The original flag came down.

So here you had this situation that was taking place and going on and there
was one unfortunate thing because they sent their pictures to Guam to get
developed and it would be some time before they would know if any of the
pictures were any good.

Well, somebody saw this flag raising picture and said here's a real terrific
picture so they sent it back to Washington and they finally said we are
going to make this the symbol of the bond drive and it was the most recorded
and printed flag picture in the world.

One mistake that was made was that a man came up to Rosenthal a week or so
later and said to him, did you stage that flag picture? And he said,
"Certainly, I staged the picture." He had no idea that his quick shot was
this famous picture.

So this is how it all happened. And books have been written - and I have
written to refute it - that this was a high command, Hollywood cowboys,
staged situation. When you hear that, you should know it is baloney. It was
not. It was a set of peculiar little circumstances that built into this
whole thing and nobody knew what they were getting into."

 and:  http://www.bullworks.net/iwojima.htm

"The exchange of the two flags took place at 1435, about four hours after
the first flag was raised, and was recorded as a still picture by Marine
Photographer Pvt. Robert R. Campbell; to his right Marine Cameraman Sgt.
William H. Genaust, (later KIA), took color film moving pictures of the
raising of the second and larger flag. It was during this time that
Associated Press Photographer Joe Rosenthal snapped the still photo that was
later to become the model for the Marine Monument erected at Arlington
National Cemetery. "

http://www.ibew.org/stories/01journal/0106/IwoJima.htm  "On February 24,
2001, they showed up at the Richfield, Minnesota, home of 80-year-old
Charles Lindberg, a retired member of IBEW Local 292, Minneapolis. He was
presented with a letter from the commandant of the Marine Corps honoring his
role in the historic raising of the U.S. flag at Iwo Jima.

Formal Marine Corps recognition of what happened on February 23, 1945, came
56 years later because Lindberg helped raise the original flag on Mt.
Suribachi at 10:40 a.m. Several hours later six other marines replaced it
with a bigger flag and Associated Press Photographer Joe Rosenthal snapped
what is arguably the most famous photo of World War II."

Well if the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps AND Joe Rosenthal
AP say it was staged that's good enough for me.

darkroommike