Re: Brian Walski Fired.

From: "Jim Davis" <ydavis@hkg.odn.ne.jp>

> Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> wrote/replied to:
>
> >Pondering the digital deception, Mr. Long and other photojournalists were
> >crestfallen. "This sort of thing damages the credibility of all of us,"
he
> >says. "Once you've lost your trust, you might as well be selling aluminum
> >siding."
> >
> >Tina
>
> Ya the paper should have just quietly ushered him out with a nice
> severance. It would have been less damaging.

Well, there are (at least) two lines of thought on this. One is to let the
fella go quietly as you said, though I would certainly never give severance
for bad behavior. I favor this in those areas in life where those deceived
are not and do not involve the public. However, in as much as responsible
journalism requires that the paper publish a retraction/correction on the
photo, all will know that deception has taken place through it's pages. It's
understandable that the paper would assign the blame where it belongs so
that it's readers (and share holders) understand that they (the paper) are
innocent in the matter. Further, the source of the error and the corrective
action taken is, in itself, news.

One may be honest or dishonest. There are wages for both.