Re: Flory Review

kostas,

Thanks for your comments. You are so correct about the shadow on "The
Flower." The print had detail between the legs, showing the thumb that Greg
felt was missing. The detail was subtle, to be sure, but unmistakable. It
added to the feeling of mystery I was trying to impart. The theme was "Major
and Minor," and one of the other "mysteries" I was trying to portray is what
was major and what was minor. If you even looked at the image more than
once, I guess I succeeded. to some degree.

I can't claim responsibility for the "small digit nail," as that was
completely the model's doing. But the placement of the small digit just
slightly away from the other fingers was purposeful. Having it directly
beside the other fingers presented too much serenity or something. I wanted
more mystery, so I had her move it just a skosh from the other fingers. This
was supposed to add a slight bit of psychological impact. Impact without
overt attention being drawn. I may be the only one who thought that there
was implied significance to that placement, but it was indeed purposeful.

The Tree was another gamble. As you pointed out, the colors were unexpected.
I thought that gave emphasis to the tree, which was the actual subject for
the theme of "Negative Space." But these are the colors and the look of
March in Wyoming, USA.

The upslope was real and as such it was unavoidable. The camera was level.
The tilt of the tree is due to the constant wind that we have here. In fact,
my town was written up in _Outdoors_ magazine (I believe) a couple of years
ago as one of the major windsurfing sites in the US. It was mentioned in the
article that the trees all grow up crooked. Not so good if you ride a
bicycle everywhere (I do), but great if you want to windsurf (I don't).

Thanks again for your comments. They were very much appreciated.

peace,

rand