RE:panorama 4the web

Hi Robert,

There are many different ways of shooting, stitching and presenting 360
panoramas.

A lot of how you will progress starts with how you are going to shoot your
panorama,,,,

1.Single shot
(Single shot uses a device like the BeHere product that uses a mirror to
reflect the scene)

2.Two Hemispheres
(2 Hemispheres uses for example a Nikon Coolpix 990 with 183 degree Fisheye
lens to produce 2 hemispheres with a small overlap that are stitched
together.)

3. Multiple shots
(shoot a number of single images that once again are stitched together.)

...and if your panorama is going to be reproduced in Cubic or Cylindrical
form. Cubic is full 360, view up, around and down while cylindrical is more
like "letterbox" format and doesn't have top and bottom views.

Once you have your shots, if you use option 2 or 3, you will need to stitch
them together. Here's where you need some software. There's quite a range of
options out there, I use option 2 to shoot hemispheres and use Panoweaver
Pro to stitch them together.

When you have your panorama stitched you need to create a file that you can
imbed into an html page or, in your case, open off the desktop. As we
deliver our files via the web we create a single .mov file and using detect
code provide either a quicktime (QT6) or java player (PTViewer) to display
the .mov file based upon the users plugin preferences.

Links:

http://www.panoguide.com/ this is a great site for all the information on
how to shoot vrmls, software etc.

Here's two links the first showing a QT version the second the same movie in
PTViewer.
http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/360_tour.cfm?hostelid=29&vrmlid=5
http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/360_tour.cfm?hostelid=29&vrmlid=5&ptviewer=1

regards,