Thoughts on PF members' exhibits 03-29-03

Forumeers,

Here are my thoughts on the PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit updated 29
March 03 now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Guy Glorieux  [unnamed]

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/glorieux.html

I like this a lot. Bordering on the surreal theme begun by Vissak last week,
Glorieux has presented us with a tantalizingly interesting compositional
masterpiece. Each of the foreground objects was placed expertly in just the
right location to balance one another. The light reflects with astonishingly
clarity on the seats of the chairs, which holds the image together.

The surrealism of the image comes from the mist in the background,
especially as it surrounds the chair on the right side of the photograph. It
almost seems to be too good to be true.

But there is one distraction I could do without. The vertical pole above the
chair on the left jars the senses into a reality that does not fit with the
remainder of the image. Still, this is a great photograph.

Jeff Spirer:  “Swept Away”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/spirer.html

While interesting, I don’t care for it as much as I normally like Spirer’s
work. As a graphic (which it seems to be striving for because of the stark
black and white nature of the image), it loses a bit by the distortion of
the horizontal and vertical lines. The broom helps us maintain reality, but
the dust/water/dirt or whatever has been inadequately swept around just
cannot be recognized easily and thus seems to lose the interest that I would
like to maintain.

Robin G. Ramos:  “Chipped”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/ramos.html

Another “black and white” graphic study, but this one works a bit better for
me. The “crack” adds a visual interest to the texture of what I assume are
small stones, although when I first looked at it, I thought it was a study
in coffee beans. The texture is well defined and the composition is
interesting. Ramos did a good job in putting this photograph together.

David Small:  “Foggy dawn in Wayland Mass.”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/small.html

Proving that running out of street shots is not necessarily a bad thing,
Small demonstrates once again that his talents are not limited to one area
of expertise. The scene is interesting, the placement of elements is quite
good and even the power pole (the bane of photography) is so muted that it
seems to belong.

This image has captured mood. And I really like mood shots. Quiet, solitude
and aloneness are here. This is a time for self-reflection.

Dan Mitchell:  “Reminders”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html

I didn’t care for this when I first looked at it. It seemed too cluttered
with no focal point nor purpose. It was well exposed and technically good,
but it did nothing for me aesthetically nor emotionally.

Then I read Mitchell’s note: “Sombre times need sombre pictures.”

Suddenly the image took on meaning. It is now fraught with relevance. And I
keep on looking at it, now understanding the anonymity of the gravestones.
This speaks volumes.

I have read that an image should speak for itself, without title or caption.
I don’t believe that. While many images do exactly that, and maybe this
theme could have been captured in an unambiguous way, Mitchell’s explanation
adds relevance and meaning and focuses the mind of everyone who sees his
image and reads his comment. Interpretation of an image can go in a
multitude of directions. Here the message is honed to one way of thinking. I
like this opportunity to see the scene as did the creative artist.

Emily L. Ferguson:  “surftreader”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/ferguson.html

I like the way the surf seems to surround the young lady staring at the
water. I like the orange jacket contrasting with the blue of the sea. I
really like the title, as it gives the image a relevance I would not have
otherwise seen. I don’t care for lack of detail on the shadow side of the
surfreader. But the silhouette still gives enough detail to enjoy the
picture.

D.L. Shipman:  “Madison”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/shipman.html

She’s cute. And where did someone so young get all that hair?!?

Doug Seibert:  “Those Crazy Brits”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/seibert.html

What an interesting idea! I’ll bet the video was fascinating.

Jim Davis:  “Heron perched near sunset at the duck pond”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davis.html

The heron is an amazing animal. While I liked Shipman’s shot last week a bit
better, the heron is still interesting. Personally, I find the background
more distracting than interesting. I’m surprised that 400mm lens gave that
much depth of field. It’s also a gutsy shot. Even with an image stabilizer,
I don’t think I would have hand-held a lens that large.

Morley Roberts:  “Mountain Goat”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mroberts.html

The mountain goat is a stately creature, and not particularly shy. As this
animal comes out of the shadows into the sun, Roberts was able to capture on
film part of the animal’s inquisitive nature.

Tim Mulholland:  “Camp Ajo”

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mulholland.html

The contrast of color between the red/orange of the Arizona landscape and
the deep blue of the sky is beautiful, but it does tend to get a bit dark on
the right side of the photograph. And what is that object on the right that
looks like a building? Is that Camp Ajo? I like the way the dark of the
mountains on the right background slant downward toward the left, which
tends to keep the eye in the picture, without overwhelming the rest of the
image.

Thanks to all who contributed this week. And thanks also to Andy and those
nameless, unspoken helpers that he has to help put this forum together.

peace,

rand