gallery comments - 22/03/2003

Hi all,

Some comments on the gallery pictures.

D.L. Shipman - Herons, Venice rookery

Good shot. It's a bird... sorry, two birds. Not smth I would have on my
wall, but I can't figure out why! Maybe the lack of interaction between
the birds, maybe the way the branch and the birds legs connect. How
about cutting the lower part up to and including the branch... I like
the blue color.

David Small - Attack Gull

I love the mood, and the almost sorarised effect the light (low sun?)
gives. The tiny black band at the bottom and the unrecognisable 'bump'
adds to the clean, powerfull impact. The image grows and evolves as I
look... Great!

Greg Fraser - Sunflower

I like the composition. Except for that light on the big black leaf...
And perhaps it is a bit too heavy on one side. Good mood - I like the
soft light on the flower combined with the deep black leaves.

Peeter Vissak - How syrreal is the World!

Yep, the west wind is strong and constant in Denmark... I did not notice
the people at first, but then I saw - and saw the image. Just a pitty
with the flare, I don't think it adds to the image. Yes, it leaves me
with a surreal feeling of something known and yet strangely unknown. So:
good image :-)

Bob Talbot - St Abbs Harbour

It is abit dull at least on my monitor, but I feel the colors were more
saturated at the scene, and maybe also on the slide? Maybe a polariser
could have been handy, taking away the reflections in the water and
given the colors a boost.

Lea Murphy - Loic

Wonderfull boy! Looks like mine when he was that age. Perhaps a bit flat
light, but it has to be soft... no, I have no objections!

Don Roberts - Vase at Sunrise

Nice abstraction, good colors and an interesting pattern on the vase.
But: The window behind is distracting, and I am irritated by the left
ear of the vase touching the edge of the image (From your comment I see
that you are excused, shooting from such an awkward position)

Jim Snarski - The Violinist

Good capture of joy! Background blurred, but still somewhat distracting.
Also it is same color/tones as her clothes and hair. She does not stand
out from the background.

Rand Flory - The Flower

You got no comments on the flower between her legs...which one is
"major" and which is "minor": you could easily get into trouble
commenting this picture! Technically very good, but I think the
positioning of her legs is a bit strange; maybe you could have turned
the camera a bit so the legs were not horisontal, giving more triangular
shapes. Good and thought-provoking.

Gregory david Stempel - Night Light

Looks like you were undecided between getting all of the lamp or
cropping it. I think you should do one or the other; this looks
in-between. Crop both sides and top and you have a very interesting and
somewhat surreal image.

King/Arthur - Close In

Looks like a video still. I don't like snapshot aestethics, sorry.

jIMMY Harris - Tex-ASS

Funny? But I still don't like snapshot aestethics. Sorry.

That's it. Hope I have not been too mean. Feel free to respond!

Thomas