Re: OT/computer?

At 02:33 PM 3/7/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>> Wouldn't it be more beneficial for your company to donate the computers to
>> schools or libraries?
>Trashing them costs almost nothing.
>Donating them has a lot of hidden costs (eg KILLING confidential HDD data).
>It's the time element that is expensive - then you end up with an old PC
with no OS ... the licences are not OEM but are moved to the new PCs.

>Anyway, this is way OT.
>The point was just that old computers are still incredibly powerful tools
(for Word/Spreadsheets/PhotoShop etc). What I paid 1000 for 3-y ago I can
get now for 100. They still work as well as they did.
>If it is wanted as a tool - to do a job, rather than a multi-media
experience (/webserver) then ...

>Sorry Alan
>It was just meant as a suggestion ...

Bob,

I have given the gallery my older computer equipment in the past. The stuff
is sooo out of date now we need to start from scratch. Seems to me there
used to be deals where you'd get a "free" computer if you signed up for a
web host. That's what I had in mind for the gallery.

My home computer is five years old and works fine even with PS. When it dies
I'm going to assemble one from scratch for around $300.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.
http://www.panoramacamera.us