Re: Video Card

From: Karl Shah-Jenner <shahjen@iinet.net.au>
Bruce wries:
> I am looking for a recommendation on a video card for a PC. Any special
> considerations to consider?
> Thanks for your help!

this is for photoshop work I presume.

Matrox. Specifically any of the G400/450/500/550 with 16-32Mb of ram, they
are 2D cards and work best for imaging. Forget the 3D cards with bucket
loads of ram, they do nothing for you other than increase the potential for
a headache due to overall fuzziness, fine they are great for gamers who want
and need advanced and fast 3D rendering but not so good for 2D. If you're
building a machine with both gaming and serious PS work in mind I'd suggest
you'd be better off building two seperate machines optimised for each
irrespective of what shrill claims you'll hear from manufacturers,
although.. .the Matrox Parhelia cards are a bit of a compromise between 2D
and 3D, but the price tag is enormous
i agree with that...i opted for a Nvidia Geforce 2 mx400...
darn right cheap and basic, but more than adequate
but....

I'd also recommend going for the dual monitor output and spend a few extra $ to buy yourself a second monitor :-)
do plan ahead...
i will be adding a second monitor sometime in the future, but i did not notice 9upon ordering)that the card, has a single output ....buy one with dual output from the beggining....

also...if you do not need the second monitor right away, hunt patiently for it...
the same store that sold me my 19" philips one, few days latter got some 17" philips ones in the price of the cheaper equivalent, only because the central depot could not furnish the cheapies on time.
had i had the money then ....

so... no matter what, CHEER UP MY FRIENDS! Life is too precious to jump the other side of the fence...
kostas papakotas / clenched teeth photography
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/home.html
'COS SOMETIMES IT IS BETTER WITH CLENCHED TEETH!