Re: Londoner in San Francisco / digicameras / testing

Le 23.2.2003 3:00, « Karl Shah-Jenner » <shahjen@iinet.net.au> a écrit :

> BTW, has anyone actually tested the colour sensitivity and capture range of
> one of these new media cameras?  I was toying with the idea of photographing
> a McBeth colour chart and checking the sensitivity by looking at the colour
> range in PS, comparing it against sensitometric values obtained by a
> densitometer.  Another thought was to flat bed scan the thing and see how
> good a discontinuous cold cathode light source is at rendering colours..
> thought I might test them against my 3 colour RGB pulsed xenon flat bed
> scanner..

Karl,

For the beginning of an answer, you can pay a look at the Dpreview www site;
this site has tested almost all the digital cameras you can imagine and
among their standard tests is always the shots of several charts, including
a Macbeth chart and Kodak color/stepwedge charts ; in some more recent
reviews, they give densitometry measures for all the fundamental colors.
Here are a few direct links :

>From the Canon G3 review :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong3/page19.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong3/page22.asp

Canon 1Ds
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/page14.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/page15.asp
(this page may be the most interesting for you)

Canon D60 :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneosd60/page16.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneosd60/page19.asp

There are many others tests.. The key is to look in the dropdown menu at the
top and chose the pages entitled "photographic tests" or "compared to"

One important thing to know is that if you have the possibility to get raw
files from your digital camera, then there are several ways to convert it.
If you are using a linear mode and keeping all the bits depth, then you can
win about one stop more in matters of dynamical range. In extreme cases, you
can also extract two different pictures from the raw file (aka a digital
negative), one for the highlights and one for the shadows and combine them
(as you would do with a scanner).  Fred Miranda has made PS action which are
able to deal with that very well.

--
Christiane