Problems with flash

Hi folks,

I have a Canon 300TL flash I use in my Canon T90 and since some weeks ago Iīm experimenting an intriging problem with it.
Well, when I load it with brand new alcaline batteries (paying close attention to the batteries poles), the flash works for around 10 minutes and then it gets the batteries overheated and drains it too ... in 10 minutes I have no more batteries and a very hot flash.
I tried loading it with flesh batteries two times and the same problem happend. Any idea of whatīs causing this problem???

Thanks,

Charles

"Itīs no better to be safe than sorry"
In "Take on Me" song by A-Ha