Gallery review of Feb 15, 2003

Hello,

Here are my quick thoughts on the photo gallery of February 15, 2003.
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Stempel - Holding the Rail
I like the texture and feel of the cold steel. If the smooth rail surface had texture and detail instead of being blown out it would work much better overall. Probably beyond the range of the film in only one exposure.

Ferguson - Speaking of chickens....
Seems to be looking right at you. Interesting, but doesn't grab me.

Palcewski - Kurt Vonnegut
Great subject. The smoke adds a dreamlike Tralfamadorian quality to frame 19.

Small - Six Pack
Now that's street photography. And I thought you didn't drink! I guess you never know what you'll run into in the big city. I think the horizon line is a bit crooked, do you have enough image area to crop and straighten the horizon?

Earnest -
Fine soft quality of light especially in the face. Was there a diffusion filter used in the upper half? Can we see this image in an ad somewhere?

Mason - Serra in St. Louis
Seems like a statement about censorship.

Roberts - Esquiminac1
I like the tones and texture here and the abstract quality. I fooled around with cropping this image and found a number of other compositions I would like as well. Also very interesting if converted to b/w, weighted towards the blue channel, and made into duotones.

Davis - cold morning in the park
A pleasing warm morning light, but the overall image (maybe a little mundane) doesn't thrill me. It does convey the chill and stillness of early morn. Maybe focusing only on the reflections in the water and ice from different angles would be interesting (to me).

Harris - Dandelion
I like the yellow glowing effect against the dark background in the center, but do not like the pink, purple and blue around the outside.

Strevens - Sporulating Lichen at Box Hill
Maybe a more interesting bit of lichen would work.

Hillier - Sunshine kiss
A strange effect - it looks like her face is elongated into a non human form (are these the Tralfamadorians?). Not crazy about the use of the filter effects around the outside.

Davidhazy - Hirshhorn
Wild psychedelia. If you stick M.C. Escher's distorted face in the center, the image would be fantastic.

Thanks to all for submitting and putting up with my comments. Now I won't feel guilty about contributing one of my shots.

Brian Roberts
photos@rightbrainimages.com
www.rightbrainimages.com