Re: why does digital looks better?

> BUT if I were to use 'equivalent' focal length lenses (lenses on
each
> format that has close to the same field of view)

What do you mean "equivalent" focal length?

The focal length of a lens is *defined* by its field of view.
If you use a sensor half as wide, the focal length halves too.
The problem is that 35mm was around so long people got the two
confused.

This only applies to digital cameras of course:  with traditional film
cropping after a photo is taken does not change focal length.

Well, that's what it says in all the camera mags ;o)

Oh, why does digital look better:  all I can add is that my chromes
hold a LOT more information, clarity and colour than I've ever been
able to get close to by scanning.  I can't afford drum scans which
(for high-contrast images) are infinitely better than the best desktop
scanners at both resolution and avoiding blooming.   Digital images
are often sharpened well before even the photographer  gets to see
them too.

Come to think of it, who can afford drum scans any more?
Has anyone used a D60+ to copy chromes?
Does that produce less blooming loss of resolution than most scanners?