Re: why does digital looks better?

From: "Lawrence Smith"

> On 2/11/03 4:56 PM, "Brian Blankenship" <brian@bngraphics.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't know about the D1x, but the D30/D60 use a .5" chip, that's like
> > shooting with 110 film (but better resolving power of course), which
> > results in more DOF.

> The D1x has a 1.5 multiplier.  While the DOF is increased somewhat it is
no
> where near what you described.  I shoot at f2.8 - f5.6 all the time using
> variety of lenses and the DOF is easy to control quite what you would
> expect.  Have you used the D60 much?

re DOF
lets look at circles of confusion, and accept the usual definition that it
relates to the percieved depth of field seen in an 8x10 print.

the coc values are generally accepted as:
diameter       film format
0.250mm          8x10
0.125            5x4
0.60             6x6
0.029            35mm

now lets see what the DOF for some of these are and how the DOF relates

H=hyperfocal distance
f= focal length
c= diameter of coc
u= object distance
N= f number of lens

a couple of formulae:

Hyperfocal distance=     f^2 / (NxC)

near limit of sharp focus=   HxU / (H+U)-f

far limit of sharp focus =   HxU / (H-U) -f

run a few calculations through this and you will find that a larger format
will have a greater DOF than a smaller format using the _same_ focal length
lens. therefore If I were to use a 50mm lens on a half frame digital camera
the DOF would be substantially less than for a 35mm camera (it's effectively
a telephoto lens on this format)

BUT if I were to use 'equivalent' focal length lenses (lenses on each
format that has close to the same field of view) the smaller format will
produce a greater depth of field. a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera has a
greater DOF than an 80mm on a 6x6

For a 1/2 frame ccd the FOV equivalent is produced by a 21mm lens

karl