Re: Shuttle images - what do _you_ see??

Bob Talbot wrote:

> > If the wing was truly damaged and it was damaged to the extent
> apparently
> > indicated by this image then I am inclined to believe that this
> damage would
> > have been easily seen by the crew.
>
> Since they already do "space walks" maybe a "walk" around the plane
> before coming home ?

Bob, I believe NASA has already established that this mission was neither
equipped nor trained for a space walk.  They have said many times that,
even if they did find a problem with the wing or with the tiles, they
would have no mechanical recourse by which to address it.  The best thing
they might have done was alter its reentry orientation to shield the
damage with the rest of the craft long enough to get it through the most
dangerous part of reentry.  And that was, at best, a gamble with sorry
odds.

It seems they may have been doomed from the beginning.

Peace!
Sidney

--
God said, Let there be light!
Divine Light: Photography by Rev. Sidney Flack