Shuttle images - what do _you_ see??

Apologies for this sort of off-topic posting but I thought you might want to at
least vicariously participate in this little bit of photointerpretation having
to do with a photograph .... get it? a photograph - a DIGITAL photograph of the
Columbia shuttle taken by an Air Force telescope when the shuttle was about 35
miles away from the scope.

I just finished a phone interview with Dan Feldstein <Dan.Feldstein@chron.com>
of the Houston Chronicle who called me to get my "take" on what might be
deduced, inferred or imagined from the photogrpah that was released to the
press by NASA today. You can see it at:

   http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/a-misc/107_bw_2_07.jpg

the first thing I suggested was that the tones needed to be inverted thus:

   http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/a-misc/107_bw_2_07-inv.jpg

then a 45 minute long interview that could be distilled into a simple sentence
pretty much supporting the statements made my NASA personnel followed, namely:

"Probably not much ... probably nothing that would absolutely indicate the
impending disaster"

so, what do YOU think????

BTW, if you want to see the result of this interview Dan told me that you can
find it by perusing the website of the Houston Chronicle newspaper tomorrow
morning at: http://www.chron.com/

I can't give you a better website address since the page/article is being
worked on even as we speak ... but if you have a minute or two in the morning
and nothing better to do maybe you will be motivated to look it up. Who knows
... maybe my simplistic evaluation will be all wrong!!!

have a nice day!

andy